Do you think the sorting hat saw something more than Slytherin in Draco Malfoy?

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Neville Longbottom: Good Intentions, Reserved Pesonality

Hello Readers!

Well, I was just looking at the "stats" of this blog, or how many readers I have, and I must say I am very satisfied! I am really enjoying this, and I hope you will continue to read.

So yesterday I finished the Sorcerer's Stone. I think thats a record: a 72 hour time period! The first in the Harry Potter has always been one of my favorites. It is so lighthearted and magical, one cannot help but be mesmerized.

Today I want to analyze another one of my favorite characters in HP; Neville Longbottom. Sometimes when I hear his name, I want to just shake my head and laugh, and just say "Oh, Neville." I feel as if this sums up many of my feelings toward Neville. Neville plays an interesting role in the 1st book. He is the outcast among the crowd--the one that no one understands, and most dont bother and try. But he has found refuge with Harry, Ron, and Hermione, a uniquely kind trio found in the Hogwarts student body. When we first see Neville, he is desperately looking for his toad from his Gram. This is an instance where Hermione really helps him out. Another very important example is that of Harrys first broom flight; attempting to rescue Nevilles Remembral from cold hearted Malfoy. Harrys keen eye could tell Neville did not posses the confidence to dig into his deep-down bravery and retrieve it himself.

My choice of words was very delicate in my last sentence. I began to say something like "...tell that Neville did did not have the bravery...". Then, I quickly erased this writing, for I had spoken incorrectly, and doing so led me to this simple way of relaying to you how I feel about Neville: He has the courage. He has it. Neville possesses the bravery inside his soul to do great, great things, as we even see in a small dose towards the conclusion of Book 1, and later, in a huge amount in the conclusion of Book 7. This just goes to show how Neville truly is constantly digging--digging deep within himself to find the bravery, courage, spirit, and warm heart that the Sorting Hat saw on his very first day at Hogwarts.

Before I close, I would like to share one of my favorite quotes from the Sorcerer's Stone, and the series as a whole:

You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring nerve, and chivalry,
 Set Gryffindors apart. (The Sorting Hat)

-Rip

[Looks like Hermione is winning the character poll. Be sure and vote!]

No comments:

Post a Comment